Tuesday, January 5, 2010

[photo five]

there are two pipes in our apartment running through the floor and up through the ceiling. in the winter time, they let off a lot of heat. and since they've been working on full blast lately, i thought it'd make the perfect subject today.

i know it's only 5 days in, but i'm really, really enjoying the photo a day project this year. last year when i started, i tried so hard to take photos with my camera. i eventually wasn't happy about some pictures and felt a little bad about having photos i really didn't like in my collection... which eventually led to the demise of the project. i'm trying my best to not be so hard on myself about the photos. something is better than nothing... and when a photo isn't working, it's good for me to really understand why it's not working for me. a learning experience, something to take with me and use to make another photo better.

so far, using my iphone camera has made such a difference. it's not such an event to get a photo. i do a little searching and planning during my weekdays (if i get a moment, which is a bit rare). then on my way home, i start thinking of ideas and searching for the photos i can take. and it's a casual, low-key activity, being able to use my phone and snap my photo.

9 comments:

  1. Great photo! I once TOUCHED one of those pipes like a dummy. OUCH. Small city girl in the big city. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice composition -- love the use of something so ordinary and well-known to NYers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pipes kind of freak me out, but this one is quite good looking - you can feel the warmth.
    i've been feeling exactly the same way about my project...trying not to be so hard on myself. so excited for the next 360.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is a great idea alicia! I have the same problem with 365 and cameras, although I am persevering, but some days are really hard.
    checking out the shakeit app too ~ really nice effect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shot... It's been awhile since I lived in the city, but I sure do remember those pipes. You learn quickly not to touch them!

    Good luck with you project, I know it gets difficult but we need to forge on and complete it. I started one in June and it was short lived, hopefully I'll complete this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the photograph and story behind it. I think you are right about not beating yourself up about taking photographs.

    Si

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to take shots of everyday things. So far I'm finding the challenge easy but as time goes on I'm sure I'll find it more challenging to get a good daily shot. I'll be glad when we don't just have snow to look at!!
    The good thing about this project is that everyone comes up with something different.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great shot having done the whole year last year I have some photos that just aren't as good as others but all together they look amazing I have ordered a blurb book with them all in and can't wait for it to arrive:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the photo, too! we have a pipe like that and have covered it with insulation and some wallpaper since it gets so hot.

    the frames look great and i was wondering if your i-phone adds them or if you do it on the computer? i think the small camera will make it much easier to keep going. i'm not posting a new photo each (too hard on myself), but i'm taking them. you'll have to trust me ;). so far, i'm really enjoying the project.

    ReplyDelete